Thank you from your winner Gary

garyboorman-wHi Everyone,

Thank you to all the students who voted for me during the recent “I’m an Engineer, get me out of here!”. Many thanks also to my fellow engineers for giving up their time to answer the students’ questions and my commiserations to them for not winning.

It was a hectic two weeks but very enjoyable. The range of questions was fantastic, and hopefully we explained what an engineer does, as well as providing encouragement to those thinking about an engineering career. I admit to not knowing some of the bands and singers mentioned by the students – I will have to expand my musical horizons!

The prize money will be spent on developing some models of accelerators, controlled by Raspberry Pi single-board computers, for demonstration in schools and during open days at my place of work.

It is clear that engineering is a rather misunderstood subject – we need more events such as “I’m an Engineer…”, and for more engineers to be involved in education and outreach. I will be recommending this event to other engineers, so that a future event will be even bigger and better!

Gary

Posted on July 10, 2013 by in News. Leave a comment.